Embarking on a below ground waterproofing project, whether for an existing property basement conversion, as part of a new build project or as an essential requirement to offer protection from water ingress, is a highly specialised operation with skilled workmanship key to its success.
Survey and Design
Working as part of a design team where necessary, Proten Services role is to survey and specify the most suitable method and grade of waterproofing protection relevant to the end use of the structure and site detail. This is very involved and is a vital stage in the process and as such is only carried out by a qualified and technically experienced CSSW surveyor.
Our surveyor will be looking at factors such as ground conditions, topography of the area, existing water table, natural and man-made drainage and assessing for structural conditions in the property which could result in water entering the building in the future. As qualified surveyors they have an indepth understanding of the recommendations as contained in the Code of practice for the waterproofing of underground structures, BS8102 (2009) to which they will adhere to. It is only after this indepth process will a waterproofing system be specified.
Consideration is also given to the issue of radon gas to which basements are particularly susceptible and a 2009 revision to BS 8102 guidelines now requires all basement waterproofing schemes to be designed taking radon into account.
To this end, we provide a radon gas testing and analysis service as well as our Radon ADD Waterproofing System which is a combined waterproofing and radon control system specifically designed for basements.
Please visit our Radon section for further information.
Installation of the Waterproofing System
Throughout the project, our Contract Manager and Surveyor will oversee the installation of the waterproofing system which is carried out by our own teams of operatives. Together they will work alongside the other professionals involved to ensure the best communication and that ultimately the installation is carried out with precision and expertise.
Our teams of operatives are highly experienced and receive ongoing training in using the best products and techniques required in a waterproofing specification. We are approved installers for Delta, Triton, Oldroyd, Isola Platon and Fosroc.
A summary of the basement waterproofing systems we provide are:
- Cavity drainage membrane - using advanced drainage techniques
- Sump and pump installation – usually as part of the cavity drainage system
- Cementitious membrane system - using multi-coat specialist renders
- Radon Aquis Double Defence System (ADD) – a combined waterproofing and radon control system specifically for basements.
Qualified, professional and adhering to all relevant guidelines
We are committed to providing our clients with the best solutions and take pride in offering high quality solutions, workmanship and customer care to ensure our clients and their properties are fully protected for the long term. We demonstrate this as follows:
- We adhere to guidelines contained in the BS 8102:2009 (Code of Practice for protection of below ground structures against water from the ground)
- Our Surveyors are certified in Structural Waterproofing (CSSW)
- Members of the Property Care Association Register of Waterproofing Design Specialists
- Hold Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Meet regulations for the National House Build Council (NHBC) requirements on new build properties
- Offer a 10 year guarantee with 20 year guarantees available to satisfy New Home Warranty Schemes subject to maintenance criteria.
- Provide an after installation care maintenance plan where necessary.
- We work alongside architects, engineers and developers through all stages of the specifying, design and construction process on commercial, new builds and domestic projects.
Contact us for further help and advice
If you would like further advice and information about our waterproofing design and installation solutions, please contact a member of our team who will be happy to discuss your requirements further.